Saturday 21 September 2013

Overcast Kop Hill

Last year was my first visit to Kop Hill near High Wycombe for the hill climb. Unlike the glorious sunshine and blueskies the whole weekend was looking like a washout, so when it dawned dry this morning and showed no rain till the afternoon I thought it best to get a move on. Bumping across the field once more I opted for "cherished parking" meaning a shorter walk to the spectator areas. My parking buddies for the day a WWII Jeep and a custom van.

 photo KopHill001.jpg

 photo KopHill002.jpg

With a dreary sky I headed for the paddock and show ground, the hill action was still an hour away so I wanted to get round the displays and back to the covered wagons by 10am. As I walked in two glorious engines were running. Both Jaguars, one in the front of an ETCC XJS, the other in the back of the legendary XJ13.

 photo KopHill005.jpg

 photo KopHill007.jpg

 photo KopHill009.jpg

The cars were being moved into position on one of the stands. Behind them some of the amazing Dick Skipworth Ecurie Ecossecollection. Up for auction so possible the last time it will be seen togeather.

 photo KopHill013.jpg

Another star of the weekend was the Napier Railton LSR car. 24lts of aero engine hauling the shiny beast to several records in the early 1900s.

 photo KopHill022.jpg

Several local race teams and restoration workshops were exhibiting cars including an Aston Martin GT rebuild, a race against time to send the car up the hill, once they've rebuilt it from a pile of pats.

 photo KopHill035.jpg

 photo KopHill034.jpg

As 10am loomed I headed back across the road to the spectator areas, not wishing to pay £5 for sitting in a drafty roofless grandstand, I found a gap on one of the free covered farm wagons to watch. The perfect spot to watch the cars and bike leave the line and meander up the hill, some faster than others.

 photo KopHill063.jpg

 photo KopHill066.jpg

 photo KopHill080.jpg

 photo KopHill085.jpg

 photo KopHill094.jpg

With some of the early entrants over 100 years old, it was slow going to start with, but the pace soon picked up.

 photo KopHill099.jpg

 photo KopHill107.jpg

 photo KopHill113.jpg

 photo KopHill111.jpg

 photo KopHill126.jpg

 photo KopHill130.jpg

Having watched a pair of Blower Bentleys whine past I decided to have another walk round. It would give me a chance to grab a coat and warm up. The wind whipping across the valley meant it was chilly standing still.

 photo KopHill133.jpg

 photo KopHill143.jpg

 photo KopHill144.jpg

 photo KopHill148.jpg

One of the most modern cars of the day was the 50th anniversary McLaren MP-4

 photo KopHill152.jpg

 photo KopHill154.jpg

Warmed up and with some faster machinery coming along I headed back to the wagons and bagged a space once more. The drizzle starting to fall again.

 photo KopHill165.jpg

 photo KopHill171.jpg

 photo KopHill177.jpg

 photo KopHill187.jpg

 photo KopHill198.jpg

Just as the Napier was being readied for its run my camera batteries went flat, nabbing the second battery that too was flat. So my mobile was pressed into service for the remainder of the day. With the morning sessions over I took advantage of the lunch break to check out a few of the cars up close and grab some food.

 photo KopHill203.jpg

 photo KopHill209.jpg

 photo KopHill212.jpg

I followed this wicker wonder into the village first thing this morning.

 photo KopHill218.jpg

 photo KopHill221.jpg

 photo KopHill222.jpg

 photo KopHill228.jpg

With my walk round complete and the drizzle getting harder I decided to call it a day, the afternoon runs are the same as the morning so I wouldn't miss anything. I walked back to the Camper and bumped across the field and home. Its such a nice informal event with so many amazing cars on display. Lets hope the weather plays ball next year.

 photo KopHill230.jpg

More photos can be found here.

Steve.

No comments:

Post a Comment