Saturday 24 March 2012

The Volksworld show

I had planned a lazy family day out at the season opener VW show. But on the thursday evening I got a message that one of the display cars had dropped out, a shame as it was the one water-cooled vehicle on the stand and we had had to really fight the organisers to get permission to put one on there due to their strict rules of air-cooled/T25 only. Not a problem though as it gave me the perfect excuse to charge the camera batteries and take the Beetle for a spin. Last properly used in August 2010 for a quick trip and then MOT'd a couple of times then tucked up in the garage it fired on the first attempt and didn't grumble at all. At 7:30am with the sun shining down I was in the queue to get on the club stand (I won't bore you with the adventure of getting the right gate, but the words brewery and piss up spring to mind!)

Photobucket

After much shuffling of cars and erecting of flag poles and gazebos the club stand was looking good. Hopefully following a rough year for the club we could bounce back and get some new members in.

Photobucket

With the stand all set I was hoping to get a cheeky walk around inside before the crowds, sadly the staff have put a stop to that treat so I had to wait until 10am before charging round behind my lens. There were some really nice Beetles and Campers in the main hall.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

The replica of the of RC Wild Willy was brilliant, it built on the Sand Scorcher version that was around a couple of years ago.

Photobucket

Stars of the show for me were the VW38 and the Berlin-Rome KdF-Wagen Type 60 K10 Rekordwagen. Both were stunning in jet black. I stood with a friend for a good 15 minutes just staring at each and discussing the tiny details. photos do not do either any justice.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Heading outside there were the usual SSVC and EB line ups as well a more of the 25th anniversary collection.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

I spotted Martin Dorey from "one man and his campervan" he was promoting his new cookbook that comes out soon and had a few signed copies available. I had a chat and nabbed one to go with his first book.

Photobucket

Then it was back indoors to the basement hall and yet more great Dubs.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Needing refreshment I went back to the club stand and did some PR work, the club had a great day with at least a dozen memberships being taken and several unhappy members placated.

Photobucket

Following a shift on the stand I was back out with the camera for some more snaps and some shopping. I returned with new indicator lenses for the Camper, new tyre dustcaps for the Beetle, a bag for Kim and a toy Camper for Lily. A good trip.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Soon it was time to pack up and say goodbye, the show may close at 5pm, but it takes forever to clear the place of punters who dawdle about. By 6pm we were in a queue to get out

Photobucket

Photobucket

And on the road home, in a little over an hour I was settled on the sofa with a KFC, tired but glad I went. The show never really disappoints and its a great start for LTV in 2012. There are loads more photos here

Steve.

Share

No comments:

Post a Comment